Sunday, June 05, 2005

Hot Water & Hot Desert

The night before the convoy into the desert, we staged more than 120 vehicles. We slept next to our vehicles so that we could rise and leave early. It was a real treat to sleep under the stars. I slept the most soundly than I had in a while. In the morning I got behind the wheel of a Humvee with SGT Fitzgerald, a susinct man with a nasal voice, and my chaplain assistant SPC Hargrave. The vehicle belonged to SGM DeLorenzo

The fact that I was behind the wheel of this vehicle was a minor miracle. The day before this event, I almost did everything within my power to avoid going out in the desert with my unit and even considered resigning my commission. The Observer/Controllers (course trainers) for the chaplains had told us to secure our vehicles and show up and a pre training inspection. I had been told point blank by my commander that I was not to draw a vehicle. This was unusual since chaplains, by Army doctrine, are guaranteed transportation and that all six other unit ministry teams had drawn their vehicle. I had approached the commander on a least two other occasions to plead my case. When I didn’t get any satisfaction, I took the issue to the brigade chaplain. The chaplains as a group even had a conversation around the issue. No one could understand exactly where this was coming from. I was told that I could borrow a vehicle from the SGM anytime I wanted, but that I was not going to draw a personal vehicle.

I made arrangements with the SGM the night before the pre inspection to borrow a vehicle. I was told that I would have a vehicle at 0630. I woke up at 0500 and reminded detachment SGT Rowe that I needed a vehicle. He gave me the paperwork to the vehicle and told me that it was three rows back. SPC Hargrave and I searched back and forth up and down—no vehicle matching the number that I was given. At this point it was getting late and I was growing disgusted with feeling that we were being jerked around with this vehicle issue. I marched back into the tent and went up to the SGM and told him that I was tired of “this s---.” As we were loudly discussing the subject, our executive officer (XO), LTC Flipczak chimed in and asked what this was all about. He told me that there were no “designated vehicles” for the chaplain. I explained to him that I wasn’t seeking a designated vehicle, that I was seeking the vehicle that was promised to us for use that day. He started asking me why I even needed a vehicle. I explained that I had been required by the OC’s and that the Army Regulations explicitly guarantees the use of a vehicle for the chaplain. He said that the Army Regulations guaranteed that as a field grade officer he was entitled to personal sleeping quarters and that he was now sleeping with the enlisted and so much for Army regulations. To which I replied, “That is your problem, Sir.” We hadn’t had our first cup of coffee, before I had run-ins with a SSG, the SGM, and the XO. I was winning friends all over the place… The SGT went to search for our vehicle. I told SPC Hargrave that we were late and that we should just walk over. And we did…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home