Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Nearly Squared Away Soldier

After saying goodbye to mom with tears welling in her eyes and dad who kissed me and both cheeks and shook my hand, I left Lancaster mid Friday afternoon. I drove down I-81 for almost nine hours until I reached Fancy Gap, VA. It was later than I thought. The one mom & pop motel that I scoped out was already closed for the night. The other one had very bright porch lights which made me believe it might be tough to have a dark enough room to sleep in. So, I stayed at the Days Inn.
I packed two sea bags, a duffel bag, a foot locker and more at the end of December in preparation for mobilization to MS with the unit from Sellersville. I have two different kinds of rain gear and a full chemical suit, but I forgot to pack underwear. So, I had the opportunity to go shopping when I arrived at Ft. Jackson.
The weather is mild unlike last winter. I've seen a few people in shorts. My accommodations are a little different than last time. I don't have an oven and stove, so I will have more meals out. That's fine with me. It will get me to know my surroundings better and give me the chance to socialize. I've met a couple of the chaplains in the program already. One has been here since January and the other has just arrived to complete the program, like myself. They both seemed of the "easy going" school instead of the more intense variety.
I rushed a bit too much in order to get to chapel this morning. This was the opinion of the MPH who ticketed me. Had I read the map correctly and not confuse my end point with my start point, I would have been going in the right direction at the right speed in order to make it to chapel on time. I had the intention of attending an Episcopal service, but when I arrived at the chapel I was at some type of low liturgy--possibly Baptist. I found the chaplain to be an excellent preacher who entered the service in his late thirties and had recently returned from Iraq. He preached on a long portion in Genesis where Abram and Sarai set off and Abram tricks the pharaoh into believing that Sarai is his sister and continuing. The chaplain paralleled the going through the motions that Abram does who eventually becomes faithful to soldiers first entering the Army and discovering their aptitudes and limits. He had much more to say and mostly all relevant. I was glad that I ended up at this service despite the $30 toll I had to pay to get there.
I've been eating well. Last night I had mousaka at a Greek restaurant named "Zorba's," of course. Tonight I went to a Mexican restaurant after which I went to the cinema to see "Sideways." I genuinely enjoyed this film because it seemed so authentic...the comic and the tragic both at once. Seeing weakness become strength and the vulnerability of the winner was touching. Plus, these actors seemed like credible wine people. Years ago, I worked at a winery and we were truly an assemblage of characters who seem to attract even more.
Even though my reporting date was today, my program doesn't begin until Tuesday because of the holiday. It's nice to have a paid holiday be the first day of school. I'll likely use tomorrow to work out and begin reading one of the several books I was given to bring along with me. Perhaps it will be Dostoevsky, "The Idiot" or something else. Then again, I could finish a few that I had already started.
Ground Mail may be sent to:
United States Chaplain Center & School
CH (1LT) Aristides Fokas
10100 Lee Rd.
Fort Jackson, SC 29207-7090

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Aris! We at St. James were talking about you today and wondering where to send future mail. Your blog helps with that and I will share your online address as well. We're thinking about you and include you in daily prayers.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home