Saturday, February 26, 2005

Matters Practical, Serious, and Ordinary

Class time is packed with necessary info and tips on map reading, making "battle book" (a pocket reference with protocols, symbology, frequently used forms, etc.) and discussions on how the Army accomodates religious needs, and ministry to dying and grieving soldiers. Some of this has been a review of the ground that was covered the first time I was here in January 04. Since then the school house (United States Army Chaplain Center and School) has revamped the curriculum slightly to focus more on chaplains who are deploying. Previously the training presumed program management through chapels on military bases and posts. During one class segment, we watched the beginning sequence from Saving Private Ryan. We were pressed by one of the senior chaplains to ask ourselves what our ministry will be about in the face of such gruesome events. We talked about how one's theology is revealed and distilled in the presence of absurdity. "Who are you, chaplain?" asks Chaplain Jones.
I have caught up with a couple of chaplains (students) who I have met previously. It's great to have the colegiality and commraderie right off the bat. This class is about half the size of the previous classes I have attended here. Many of the chaplains are near my age and seem seasoned. They are generally a friendly bunch. I have also connected with the senior chaplains and staff who I had met before. It was genuinely good to see them all even the short Hispanic SGT who enjoyed razzing on me a bit. I spend a good deal of my down time reading, exercising, taking trivia quizzes on the internet, doing laundry, shopping for groceries, eating, or going to the movies. I've been to more cinemas here than I usually go to back home. So far I've seen Sideways, The Aviator, and Finding Neverland. They were all highly worthwhile. Neverland was very touching and enchanting. There were many older folk in the theater. I'm glad I opted to see it.
I checked the internet to find a local UCC, but there are none in Columbia, SC. There is an Episcopal Cathedral. I am intending to worship there tomorrow morning. I have already fulfilled the school's requirement to visit various different religious services (Christian & Non-Christian) on and off post. I have yet to visit a muslim service. I will likely do this before I graduate even though I am not required to.
The newness of this journey is still present. I miss family members, but am finding this time away a way to strengthen myself and focus on a mission bigger than myself. I expect that the solitude will at times feel more like lonliness and when I'm in demand (on duty) there will be times of stress.
On Friday, we all assembled in a hall with other units and attended a change of responsibility ceremony for the SGM of the Chaplain's Corps. One of the young soldiers in the group was completing his AIT (Advanced Individual Training) who was wearing a PA 28th Infantry Div. patch. He was happy to see another Pennsylvanian. So was I in this sea of Texans, Carolinians, and other Southerners. When it was time, we and the other assembled soldiers stood nearly motionless at parade rest for over an hour. There was a great deal of dignity and acknowledgement. The outgoing SGM was a very eloquent man and obviously well-liked. The band played and a chorus sang, "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away." I vaguely recalled having heard it before. It's an odd little piece. I'll have to do some internet research on it's origins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home