Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Best Mattress

Without reviewing my notes, I barely remember what all happened last week. Friday is still pretty clear in my mind. We all needed to report by 5 A.M. out in a field with our ruck sacks, Load Bearing Equipment (LBE), and kevlar (helmet) in order to hike three or so miles. Not only were some of us late (not me), but some of us did not pack according to the packing list (nor me). There was a surprise inspection where we had to dump all of the ruck contents out onto the ground and then hold items up as the sergeant called it off of a list. One individual, a fine soldier and chaplain who is going to Air Assault school, decided to weigh down his pack by packing towels and weights instead of what was listed. A lot of what the Army is about is following directions as they are given. I learned this the last time I was down here and have made my peace with the Army Way. When it comes to things like this I don't over think. No need to. There's a strange security that sets in knowing this.

Later in the day, the Chaplain's School held a tribute to the contributions of women in honor of National Women's Month. A young local councilwoman spoke during the program, but the highlight was when three black women sang a piece that rocked the house. It was by far the best singing I have heard here. After the program we were served a buffet style lunch with dessert and all. As I was waiting in line there were some flowers (pens disguised as flowers) that were available for anybody who wanted one. I took one and put it in the pocket of my uniform. That was a mistake, because a sergeant came up to me and told me that it wouldn't be good if anyone saw me like that. Live and learn. The uniform is sacred.

A fellow student (and my battle buddy) is an ELCA pastor from Minnesota. He was invited by an Irish Catholic priest to come to the Mass. I went along with him because not only was I curious, I wanted a break from some of the gimmicky preaching that sometimes comes on the Protestant side of the house. The homilist/celebrant was not able to make it to Mass. So some one stepped in in his stead. It was a brief homily and an "instant Mass." (My terminology for when the priest has conducted Mass for the last 30 years and is able to zip right through it without you being able to find your place on the page.)

The most nourishing activity for my soul this past weekend was a visit to my friend Cheri in Atlanta and her daughter, Eve (who is also my Goddaughter.) Cheri let me sleep on the greatest mattress I have ever been on. It was a King Size firm. And I slept like a king. On Saturday, we took Eve and a picnic basket to the botanical gardens. It was a glorious day. Although it is very early in the spring, there were still many flowers out and lots of aromas to wake me up from the winter's funk. There were hyacinths and jasmine that perfumed the air with just enough sweetness to make me inhale deeply and savor the day. We saw dessert areas, frogs, quails, lilies, orchids. It was beautiful. After spreading a quilt on the green, we ate a few crackers and cookies. The warmth of the sun pushed me to the ground and I went belly up prepared to soak in as much as I could. A grogginess quickly settled in and I drifted to sleep and lost track of time.

The friendship I share with Cheri goes back to my high school days. Long stretches often pass between the times when we see each other, but she is able to recall some of the minutest details about the past. There is continuity with Cheri. She loves images and has taken and collected hundreds of photographs. All of them poetry. All of them devastatingly beautiful. Anyone who loves and makes beauty like she does is rare. Eve is playful and a little shy. She likes hip-hop music and gluing shells and sparkling stones on boxes. She is innocent, sweet, and seldom makes a fuss. She loves lions and tigers.

I spend Saturday night watching a movie, The Story of Us, for a counseling course. It has Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfieffer in it. It was tolerable. The assignment was easy because the Army doesn't look for depth counseling when you can just put a quick fix on something. This training is given to all of us, because some of us will be on various bases and serve as Family Life Chaplains. As a Guardsman, I am going on a specific deployment. This is good background and will be helpful at times when I am working back in PA with the unit. But, for now it is just an added skill.

The weekend of domestic activity reminds me so much of what is good about families and how contentment is available where there is nurture and grace. I come back to Ft. Jackson, refreshed and stronger.

Yes, I have received several letters from a variety of friends. I plan to sit down soon and respond individually. Right now, things are still moving quickly and it is a luxury to sit and concentrate on writing. It feels good, like a sun bath. Now to bed and back to 5:20 A.M. physical training and the flood of powerpoint presentations. I am convinced that powerpoint quickly dulls the brain into a semi-hypnotic stupor. Great stuff.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me the best mattress was made by sleepys. Because I can sleep very well since I buy their mattress. And if you want to experience the best sleep, buy a sleepys mattress, Click here for more information.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home